Tuesday, October 3, 2017

September Watching/Reading/Listening

Watching:

Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin (HBO PPV): It's now on HBO Go, but I watched it live and it gave me life. So good. There was great action between two well-matched fighters who have good technique and hit hard. It was a thing of beauty. I didn't agree with the result, though.

One Mississippi Season 2 (Amazon Prime): Just as good as the previous season. Calm, sweet, dark, funny. The seasons are way too short! If you like Master of None, there's a good chance you'll like this one.

Transparent Season 4 (Amazon Prime): Still good. I hated Ali in the previous seasons, but that character is so great in this season. I feel you, girl!

Fuller House Season 3 (Netflix): It's still good. It just feels like there are too many characters and storylines. Was it like this when I was young, but I didn't care? Maybe I should watch old episodes, but I remember the show dealing with some real stuff every once in a while. Candace Cameron Bure is gorgeous. I just like staring her. I get mad when they light her poorly. I know it's an actress' job to stay in shape and look good and they have trainers and chefs and meal delivery services, etc., but still.

Louie Seasons 4 and 5 (Netflix): I don't know why I resisted this show. I saw half an episode a while ago with Parker Posey (I love her. She's so dark and funny), liked it, but didn't continue watching. It's low key insane. Super low key, but also super insane.




Oasis (Amazon Prime): I didn't realize there was only one episode of this show from Amazon's pilot season and it didn't get picked up. I liked it and now I'm pissed. I get having shows that had just one season, but one episode?! That's just mean, man!

King Arthur Legend of the Sword (On Demand): Loved it! Genre totally in my wheelhouse and it takes a lot for me to not like one of these movies, but it was actually pretty good. Jude Law plays villains so well.

Rumor Has It (Netflix): Cute, romantic, Jennifer Aniston comedy from 2005. Whatever happened to romantic comedies? I think they've all gone indie now.

Champs (Netflix): A boxing documentary focused on Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Bernard Hopkins, and boxing's link to poverty before and after a boxer's career. (rewatch, but still good)

Atypical Season 1 (Netflix): Love this show! It's about a kid with high-functioning autism who wants something, acts on it, and it disrupts the entire balance of the family. Great story. Great characters . . . except for the mom. ****SPOILER ALERT****

*********************************************************************************
Her son doesn't need her as much and so she has an affair. It's just a little too unbelievable of a storyline even though it's necessary for the bigger picture story of how people deal with change. Yes, she was a cool, popular girl who seems to have given up her entire self to help her son and feels lost after he doesn't want to eat ice cream with her, but she's not without resources or the tools to deal with the change. If she were some anti-support group, anti-therapy, anti-self-help book, anti-intense research doing person, I would get it. But she goes to a support group. She's been heavily involved in the world of parents with children with autism. This scenario never came up? She couldn't identify it? She couldn't decide to go back to work? She takes a dance class and it immediately leads to an affair? The character turned so stupid so fast. I didn't see the character as a dumb broad who needed so much attention. I still love Jennifer Jason Leigh. So talented. So sexy.
********************************END SPOILER************************************

Tried to watch: Marcella (Netflix) hoping it was like Luther, but it was not. My Name is Doris (Amazon Prime), but I couldn't get into it. I will very likely be dressing like Doris in my old age. You've been warned. Maron, but there wasn't enough meat to his stories.

(I tried to watch a lot of your recommendations, but they were no longer on streaming platforms I have.)

Reading: I read a book!!! Fierce Kingdom by Gin Phillips. A mother and her young son are at the zoo and then active shooters show up. She has to keep them safe until it's all over. It was the protagonist's descriptions of being a mother that hooked me, but the story was good. I went to the library and checked it out. Maybe I just got burned out on reading on a Kindle?

Listening: New favorite song - Five Feet of Road by White Dress; New podcasts - Dear Sugars, Terrible, Thanks for Asking, and The Hilarious World of Depression. I tried a few 2 Dope Queen episodes, but they weren't that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment