Monday, April 16, 2012

Cabin in the Woods (2012)

I haven’t seen a horror movie in a theater since The Ring (2003). I love horror movies, but I almost never watch them.  The main reason I haven’t seen a horror movie in the theater is because I prefer to watch them with a cute guy and bury my face in his chest when I get scared. Taking my romantic history into consideration, I figured I’m just going to have to get over it or never see a horror movie in a theater ever again.  After seeing Cabin in the Woods, I can say with confidence that I still haven’t seen a horror movie on the big screen since The Ring.

I guess it could be a horror movie even though it’s not scary at all. It’s like a psychological experiment with twist. You have a glimpse of the twist right when the movie starts, then it goes into the usual horror movie plot (cabin in the woods-discovery of something they should’ve left alone-sex-killing off of characters one by one) with the usual characters (sexual blonde-alpha male jock-the good guy-the fool-the non-sexual girl). There’s a good bit of comedy having to do with the twist. I did chuckle a few times. I think the problem was that I was expecting more horror-wise and twist-wise. Not to say I don’t recommend the movie. Definitely hangover theater (movies you watch on a Sunday when recovering from a hangover) theater.   

No comments:

Post a Comment