Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Walking Dead: Made to Suffer

Pleased to meet you/Hope you guess my name/But what's puzzling you/Is the nature of my game – Rolling Stones


Oh, shit. New person. Oh, shit. Whole new group. One of the new group’s members gets a chunk of herself bit off, but they still carry her into an enclosed building with them. That enclosed building is the prison. Tyrese is the new person. I’ve only read the summaries of the comics, so I know he supposed to have a relationship with Rick/Rick’s group. I’m just not sure what it is.

It’s been an intense season, almost like they’re making up for last season, but I’m looking for forward to a midseason break. The intensity and creepiness is a little overwhelming. My nerves are a bit shot. The Governor is so creepy, I can’t even feel sorry for the way he’s dealing with his daughter turning. No sympathy.

Glenn repurposes a walker’s bones for use as a weapon. How “sustainable” of him. At least he and Maggie are in the same room. He and Maggie make a good attempt at an escape, but Maggie hesitates when her gun is on Merle and they’re recaptured. Then Rick and ‘em come through SWAT style (how fucking sexy is Rick being a professional law man again?) and grab the captives.

Glenn spills the beans about Merle once the group reach a place they can regroup. The desire in Daryl’s eyes to reconnect with his brother breaks my heart, but Rick convinces him to stay with the group.

Andrea wants to help with the invasion, but the Governor shuts her down. Gee, I wonder why. Don’t want your girlfriend to know you’re a sociopathic dictator torturing her friends?

Daryl decides to stay behind to provide cover fire. You just know he’s hoping to see Merle. Rick starts hallucinating, thinking he sees Shane. Helpful prisoner gets shot and the ratio of black people to white people remains as the writers wish. *eye roll* My nerves are shot from all of the gunfire and violence. I don’t play videogames or see action movies all that often. I have a very low tolerance for such things. The horror movie commercials in between don’t help much, either.

Tyrese’s group runs into trouble in the prison and Carl rescues them and is the voice of reason. First of all, it’s been long enough that any group should be able to better strategize going into an enclosed building. Secondly, Carl? Carl “Get in the Fucking House” Grimes? I don’t think the former America’s Top Model (Tyrese’s girlfriend/wife/annoying “Lori” of her group) has the acting chops for this show. She’s destroying my suspension of disbelief. I already love Tyrese, though! Good looking and smart. I’ll take it!

Michonne loses the group and makes her way to the Governor’s apartment and finds his freak show secret lair. Unfortunately for him, Michonne decides to put a little reality into his life and ends his walker daughter’s life. He doesn’t take it so well. This whole scene is messed up on so many levels. She manages to stab him in the eye with a piece of the broken glass from his aquariums holding walker heads. Andrea shows up in the nick of time to save his life. If only Michonne had told her what had just happened. She could’ve in less than 15 seconds. Andrea is moved by his love for his walker daughter. What a surprise.

This show is starting to feel like a bad Three’s Company nightmare. Lack of knowledge leading to misunderstandings and mistrust.

Michonne somehow finds the group and Rick is still being a dick to her. I’m not sure why. Daryl is missing. Saw that one coming.

The Governor wasn’t really the governor until now. The eye patch makes the man. Turns out Daryl was captured and is going to be used as a test for Merle. If Daryl dies, I’ll probably stop watching the show. This is a horrible way for Daryl and Merle to meet.

Kevin Smith talks about how The Walking Dead is what happens after a zombie movie is over. I’ve always wanted to see that and feel so curious at the end of those movies, but now I know why a show like this hasn’t been done. It gets a bit tedious. Most people would want to find some place safe, stay put, and keep on living. It would almost be boring. Kind of like if Frontier House had multiple seasons.  Great initial run (I loved that show), but watching someone chop wood or plant seeds over and over would get pretty boring. The forced emotional rollercoasters and cliffhangers are too much for my nerves. This is why I’ve always preferred series that have single standing episodes. Looking forward to the break. Definitely not watching the marathon New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment