Monday, June 15, 2015

Book Review: Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins

I'm not sure how this book became popular (Oprah selection? Soon to be made into a motion picture?), but I'm glad it popped up on my radar. I love mysteries and suspense thrillers and it's not as easy to find ones written by female authors.*

The story is told from the viewpoints of three different, but variously connected, women. And what disasters the three of them are. I love flawed female characters. Either I can relate or they make me feel better about myself or give me insight into a type of life I wouldn't have otherwise given thought. I think it makes me softer and more forgiving. Here, there's the drunk, purposeless, cheated on, barren divorcee (Rachel), the former mistress turned stay-at-home mom (Anna), and the one who Rachel watches from the train and is neighbors with Anna. 


Some bad shit happens creating a mystery. Rachel starts to find some purpose in trying to help resolve the mystery, but things keep getting worse and worse and worse for her and those involved the deeper in she goes. 

The mystery is great and there are plenty of action-suspenseful moments. You have no idea how it's going to turn out. It's a legitimate whodunit and it will keep you reading. How the characters view themselves and the actions of others is also great at showing how little we really know about other people's lives and why they do what they do. 

I recommend it if you like mysteries with good character insight. BYDHTTMWFI**

*About two years ago, I read The Year I Stopped Reading Men by Anna Szymanski and decided to take up the same challenge. At first it was difficult to find female authors writing suspense fiction (my preference), but it's gotten easier and I've kept it up. The effect of only reading books by female authors (with a few exceptions) has been profound and will be its own post . . . eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment