Monday, December 4, 2017

The Last Cotto Fight

I have such great memories from watching Cotto's fights. This is really the end of an era for me. Here are some of the more memorable bouts (for me) from Cotto's career.

Cotto vs. Judah (June 9, 2007) I had just moved to New York City - barely been there a week - and my first order of business was to make a trip to Madison Square Garden. It's called boxing's Mecca for a reason. It was the night before the Puerto Rican day parade and as I looked around the stadium, I noticed the place was packed to the rafters with Puerto Rican Cotto fans. When they played the Puerto Rican national anthem (state song? U.S. territory ditty?), the whole pace sang along, including little children (Puerto Rican pride is no joke). I quickly realized that if Cotto didn't win, there would be a riot. I scanned my area for the nearest exit and worried about how fast I'd be able to move in a dress and heels. Luckily, Cotto won by TKO in the 11th round.





Cotto vs. Margarito I (July 26, 2008) I was visiting friends in DC and one of them had their birthday scheduled for fight night. It would NOT be a viewing party. I found a bar not too far from where the party was being held and when it was time for the fight to start, I grabbed another friend and booked it over to the other bar. As we all know now, Margarito was a dirty cheater who used plaster wraps during this fight. I still remember Cotto's bleeding, stunned face as he crouched in the corner halfway through the fight. He looked almost confused and like he couldn't believe what was happening. He lost and we soon found out why. Cotto took that loss hard and I was worried he wouldn't find his way back to his old self - that he would let bitterness or anger define the rest of his career or even life, but he did manage to move on.

Cotto vs. Jennings (February 21, 2009) This wasn't a memorable fight, but it was a memorable night. It was the night I met Bert Randolph Sugar, a boxing writer and historian, easily identified by his cigar and trench coat. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a stickler for the rules. However, when I saw my chance that night, I made a beeline for Sugar, going down a few levels and walking quickly by security before they could say anything. People were lined up to take a picture with him. When it was my turn, the camera froze up for a moment. He didn't seem to mind. He was the nicest, dirty old man I ever met. 



Cotto vs. Margarito II (December 3, 2013) Brutal, punishing payback. After the fight was over, Cotto stalked by Margarito like a panther "Just to look at him and taste my victory on him." Revenge is a dish best served cold, but I guess it's still tasty. Yes, Margarito was and is still physically compromised from his fight with Pacquiao, but even if Margarito had been 100%, Cotto would've stilled gone for the kill.  

Cotto vs. Mayweather (May 5, 2012) I really thought Cotto had a shot. He made Over-the-Shoulder Mayweather be a lot more active than usual. He did make Mayweather bleed and, for that, I will always be thankful.

And so the last Cotto fight:

Cotto vs. Ali (December 2, 2017) The age difference between Cotto and Ali (eight years) was noticeable in speed, but not as much as one would think. Cotto still had some good speed and power. Sadam Ali was moving Cotto around the ring, like a bull fighter with a bull. He seemed to be trying to tire Cotto out.  At the end of the sixth round, Cotto looked sad. I can't imagine dedicating my life to something that has such short shelf life. I don't blame athletes who come back after retirement or delay retirement for way too long. Cotto decided to punch his way out of his sadness in round seven, though. Straight up I'm-going-to-punch-you-in-the-face-until-I-feel-better-and-try-to-make-your-liver-explode-just-for-fun type of fighting. Cotto kept up his energy better than Ali, but Ali made up for it with spectacular punches. Though compubox showed that Cotto landed more punches, the judges scored the fight to Ali - unanimous decision. But, as usual, the fans were not disappointed. There was action. There was tension. And there was Cotto full of heart and skill.

(Sadam Ali is a great fighter and I really felt for him in this fight. Cotto is well-liked and, this being his farewell, he would probably be showed favoritism by the ref and the judges, but Ali kept it going. I guess getting constantly yelled at by your dad from ringside in front of 12,000+ fans of your opponent.)

Cotto always brought the action. You could tell he took his job seriously and respected the fans and respected what the sport had given him. He wasn't the same after the first fight with Margarito, but he moved on and righted his course a lot better than most people would have. I really admire him for that. He gave a good show up until the end. I think he still has the skills to box without embarrassing himself or for people feeling sorry for him, but it's a good time to go and I'm grateful for all of the memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment