Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Suspended With Pay. That'll Show Him!


The daughter of this judge posted a video to YouTube of him beating her. The video has now had over a million hits. The daughter stated that she posted the video so that her father might seek help.  This beating took place several years ago. It was never reported then and, therefore, never investigated. No allegations of any recent beatings have been made. This judge has now been suspended with pay. 

Look, people. I don't condone hitting children. I was horribly abused as a child and it's something that I carry with me in my everyday life. Allegations of abuse should be thoroughly investigated and then addressed in a court of law. However, if my abuser had just been fired from their job because of it, it wouldn't have made things any easier at my  house and would not have ended the abuse. 

The allegations of abuse in the judges case have not been investigated. The judge has not been tried and convicted. And, honestly, with states facing terrifying budget gaps, what does suspending a judge with pay do? Does it really show people that the state of Texas is serious about child abuse? No. Is it a slap in the face to taxpayers and those who wait up to a year to get their day in court before a judge and now that state is down one judge? Yes.

Law enforcement and the district attorney's office need to conduct an investigation. If the judge is charged with a crime, then he should be suspended (without pay) until a jury reaches a verdict/judge hands down a ruling. If guilty, then he should be relieved of his position.

[This reasoning does not apply to Sandusky or his unwitting accomplices. See the excellent four-part coverage of that atrocity at Angry Black Lady Chronicles.]

[To my attorney friends/former law school classmates, please remember that I have never practiced and wasn't a part of any learn-about-how-the-legal-system-actually-works activities at school. If I've gotten any legal terminologies/procedures incorrect, don't judge. Just let me know in the comments and I will make the corrections. Thanks!]

No comments:

Post a Comment